The AHS Volunteer Program provides a wide variety of opportunities for concerned, caring individuals to help make a difference in the lives of animals today, while helping AHS end homelessness for pets in Central Texas. Volunteers help save the lives of thousands of animals each year by assisting in the direct care of animals, fundraising, reaching out to the community and fostering animals in their home. To join our volunteer team, just follow the below steps.
For individuals needing court-ordered community service hours, check out our Community Service Restitution page.
1. Be sure that you meet our requirements:
- Volunteers are required to make a three-month commitment of at least two hours per week.
- At least 14 years of age. 14 & 15 year olds must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times when volunteering. 16 & 17 year olds may volunteer independently with parental consent.
- Able to fulfill all responsibilities independently.
- Committed to the mission & values of the Austin Humane Society.
2. Read through our position descriptions below and choose the program that is the best match for you.
We often have volunteers that do not fit into one of our main categories, and we encourage you to attend orientation to learn more about options!
3. Register for Volunteer Orientation.
4. Complete training in your selected program.
- Initial training sessions for each program last from 2-3 hours and will allow you to work as an entry-level volunteer in your selected program.
- Additional opportunities will be available as you gain experience and hours as an AHS volunteer!
Have more questions? Please check out our FAQ page and read our Volunteer Handbook below!